After the divisive election of 2016, our community worked together to discern a Christian response to our national hurt and hate. We discerned three things. First, we must relearn to talk together with respect. Second, our Christian mandate is to heal the earth. Third, to do that, we must reckon with the sin of our nation’s past. Racism. These resources helped us.
Rethinking Race: How Shall We Be Christian?
Our community spent the Fall of 2017 exploring the roots of, and formulating a Christian response to, racial injustice. It was demanding, first because we are an inclusive community, with people from across religious, political, and racial spectra. Second, because it was a time of national tumult and hyper-polarization.
- Click Here to Have A Listen (Start at the bottom. Each week builds on the last.)
- This American Life: The Problem We All Live With part 1 (Click HERE for part 2)
- On Being: Let’s Talk About Whiteness
- On Being: The Heart is the Last Frontier
- This American Life: Harlem Children’s Zone. Baby College
- America’s Original Sin – Wallis
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria: And Other Conversations About Race – Tatum
- Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America – Kendi
- Gene Sharp (several books on non-violent resistance)
- The Book of Forgiving – Tutu
- Healing the Heart of Democracy – Palmer
- People’s History of United States – Zinn (it’s really long, so HERE’S is a summary website)